Christmas Classics

12 months ago, in the post ‘A Christmas Gift For You’, I related one of my favourite aspects of Christmas – how it provides the opportunity for me to give an annual listen or two to the seasonal masterpiece, ‘A Christmas Gift For You’ (aka ‘Phil Spector’s Christmas Album’). http://blog.gregwilson.co.uk/2010/12/a-christmas-gift-for-you/

By the same token, the festive season has its own special movies that are always good to watch again, no matter how often you’ve seen them before, because they embody the spirit of Christmas, connecting you right back to your younger self, when the magic shone brightest.

I’m of the generation that grew up enjoying the Frank Capra 1949 classic ‘It’s A Wonderful Life’ on TV every year. One of the most beloved of all American films, it was remarkably a box office flop that only gained full recognition in the 1970s, following annual Christmas TV repeats.

There are also those films that always seem to be on at this time of year, which, once again, evoke your childhood days and remain with you down the years, always held in deep affection. Mine would have to be ‘Jason And The Argonauts’ (1963), which drew from Greek mythology and was especially noted for its incredible Ray Harryhausen’s stop motion animation, which, in a world where computers now provide boundless possibilities, still inspires wonder (perhaps even more than ever given the limitations of the time in which it was made). Case in point – the famed skeleton fight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF_Fi7x93PY

So, which films take you back to Christmas past?

It’s A Wonderful Life Wikipedia:

Jason And The Argonauts Wikipedia:

, , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to Christmas Classics

1. Steven Chatterton December 21, 2011 at 8:52 pm #

‎’The Man in the Santa Claus Suit’ – a Fred Astaire TV movie that I was obsessed with as a boy. Have bought a VHS NTSC copy off ebay and it’s been 30 years since I last saw it……… cannae bleedin’ wait.

2. Ray Colclough December 21, 2011 at 8:53 pm #

Gremlins

3. Gerald Weichselbaum December 21, 2011 at 8:53 pm #

Scrooged

4. Simon Hopkins December 21, 2011 at 8:53 pm #

Got to be….. It’s a wonderful life!

5. DEmi Χατζηγεωργίου December 21, 2011 at 8:54 pm #

Bad Santa. !!!

6. Al Warwick December 21, 2011 at 8:54 pm #

Die hard

7. Charlie Walp December 21, 2011 at 8:54 pm #

A Christmas Story

8. Ana Lola Santos December 21, 2011 at 8:55 pm #

Jesus Christ Superstar : )

9. Matt December 22, 2011 at 7:37 am #

As a child of the 70’s It’s got to be Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) for me.
    Wishing you a very Merry Christmas Greg.

10. Paul Wright December 22, 2011 at 4:36 pm #

Star Wars! 😀

11. bertski December 23, 2011 at 1:33 am #

Home Alone with Macaulay Culkin. It’s every Christmas here on polish television for last 20 years. Every Pole knows Kevin. I never liked it. Ben Hur with Charlton Heston was big movie to me.

12. Travis Mac December 23, 2011 at 3:39 am #

Definitely “It’s a Wonderful Life” all time classic that I rewatch every couple of years.
    Also I think of Gladiator movies, too like Ben Hur which seem to be on around the holidays every year…

13. Dan Smith December 24, 2011 at 3:03 pm #

Our family watched ‘It’s A Wondeful Life’ last night (2009 colourised version DVD). We’d never seen it before. Ultimate feel good factor film! Loved it!

Personally, as a kid born in 1977 and growing up in the 80s… Christmas was always about Star Wars… The film, the toys, everything!

14. Jason Pursley January 3, 2012 at 10:21 am #

Skeleton scene “sicker than sick,not just SICK but sicker then sick,”greggory u my man r mosdef into quality my man &i like that so u get my pick?(((((((((((———::::::::::;

CHARRIOTS of FIRE
    ddeedddaaaaaaaaaa!

15. TC January 5, 2012 at 10:23 am #

My big Xmas films are, of course, It’s a Wonderful Life but as a child I saw the ’30’s version of Miracle on 34th St and loved it. Didn’t see it again until the ’90’s and despite asking everyone if they’d ever seen it down the years, I always drew a blank. Then all of a sudden it became a classic. Love it though. Also, a big fave for me is Meet Me in St Louis. Judy Garland’s version of Have yourself a Merry Little Xmas is heartbreakingly beautiful, as is the scene it features in with Margaret O’Brian. It’s what Christmas is made of!